Window Condensation - Causes and Solutions
The formation of Window Condensation is an unpleasant thing and to prevent it you need to understand what causes condensation on windows. We will explain in this article what you cannot do, and what you should do regularly to prevent its occurrence. But first, let’s look at the concept of condensation itself.
Condensation is the vapour in other words, the transition of a substance from gaseous to liquid form. Air, being a gaseous substance, tends to change into a liquid state under the influence of sudden temperature changes and when this occurs regularly Window Condensation also becomes a permanent phenomenon.
The cause of Window Condensation
Window Condensation is an aesthetic nuisance and is detrimental to the material and often to health. Window Condensation occurs when the joint between the profile and glazing or profile and opening is not properly sealed, and also when the gaskets and fittings are worn and not functioning properly, which may result in window condensation. At the point of temperature collision – cold outside and warm inside – in the case of any of these faults vapour is produced which, as it accumulates, turns into droplets and, as the process progresses, into a puddle.
Many factors can lead to this kind of trouble, and among them the main ones stand out:
- Poor assembly. The window must be a factory-assembled construction, because only with good equipment can a quality construction be made in which all the elements are not only tightly joined to each other, but also have a long-lasting hold. Window Condensation is formed if this factor is not observed.
- The seals must be removable. More precisely, it is preferable that the seals are removable. Window Condensation occurs where air bridges are formed, among other things. Non-removable seals at solder points can contribute to this phenomenon.
- Poor installation and substandard preparation of the window opening for the window installation. This leads to window condensation due to unevenness in the opening or poor adhesion of the profile to it. Careless installation can damage the integrity of the construction in places invisible to the untrained person, about what an unscrupulous contractor may avoid mentioning.
- Poor indoor climate. Sometimes production characteristics have nothing to do with the formation of Window Condensation. Insufficient and poor ventilation ensures that you will soon see your windows misting up and the resulting Window Condensation.
These are the main factors that often lead to Window Condensation. You shouldn’t forget about the wear and tear on your old windows either. Every item has an expiry date, and how long that date is depends on proper operation and quality.
Need a consultation?
Our operators will answer any questions
How to get rid of condensation?
If you already have Window Condensation, then you should take the following measures:
- Make airing more regular and take care of extra ventilation.
- Check the integrity of the gasket and, if it is damaged, replace it.
- Check the connection between the profile and the opening and if any air bridges are found, use sealants to get rid of any air bridges.
- If the structural integrity and tightness of the connection between the frame and the glazing is compromised, then the window should be considered for replacement.
Constant ventilation is the answer to the question how to prevent condensation on windows because poor air circulation is often the cause of window condensation.
Incorrect operation of the window also leads to malfunctions. Not only condensation can result from such treatment, but also the noise insulation, thermal insulation and energy efficiency in general can be impaired. And improper operation can be the result from faulty settings. And the question of how to stop windows condensation can be answered trivially by setting the window correctly.
When can condensation be eliminated and when is it time to replace the windows
You can get rid of window condensation by adjusting the ventilation system and regular ventilation, as mentioned above. This is one of those cases where you can not only Reduce Window Condensation, but eliminate it altogether. If you have had your window installed by qualified installers, there will be no operational problems as described in this article. Masters will make all the preceding works, and the subsequent proper setup so that you do not have to look for the best way to wipe condensation off windows.
In the following cases it is better to replace the window:
- Condensation has become a regular occurrence even when the window is properly adjusted.
- Mould has started to appear.
- There are draughts and the heat exchange in the room is disturbed.
It is time to contact the right window installation company!
Get a quote
Contact us today to find out how Prestige Plus specialists can help you solve your problem